Menu & Search
I Fixed the Fix List

I Fixed the Fix List


I’ve gone through another sprint of website changes in the last week, the biggest one being the redesign of my homepage. I think it looks better than it did before. As long there’s slight improvements between each pass when making design changes, that’s the goal. Things will eventually work-out in the end the more you tweak at it.

The full highlights of my recent changes are;

# My homepage now contains all content and the navigation links jumps to each area on there, with exception to the Tech Blog though. I like having that link lead to a page that’s easier to navigate.
# I added a subscription widget that works with Mailchimp. I’m still getting the hang of the configuration with that. Another fun thing to learn about.
# I went through all older posts, tidying formatting/tags/SEO and re-adding images to some pages that I had linked from my old domain. I haven’t re-newed it and pictures eventually stopped showing.
# I reinstalled Disqus after trailing another comment system. I change my mind a lot but do feel like I get it right in the end, in some cases?

When I finished with the above, for the first time ever, I had nothing left on my fix list!

There are a few outstanding snags… small ones… not worthy of this list. For example, the homepage header image is a proving a tough one for me to get right. But it’s perfectly acceptable just now though, and it’ll be tweaked at random until it sits well.

As my website hammers on with it’s continuous system & plugin updates, there’s always going to be things that break. And there’s no doubt I’ll have more improvement ideas along the way. So I’m not saying good bye to the Fix List, I’m going to start a fresh from this point, just for a bit of organisation.


Fix List (April 2018 – November 2018)

# Move away from the Crayons code display plugin (or look into the updates of it).
# Pictures don’t open in a new tab when clicked on blog post loop thumnail images.
# Add labels (tags) to all old tech posts (I’ve been adding for new posts).
# Add subscription functionality, exploring options for full customisation.
# Go through older tech blog posts to check for formatting issues. Alot of WordPress changes have happened since they were published.
# Get Disqus comment system in-line with post widths.
# Text hover-over bug on the Journal & Web Stats blog filmstrip featured images.
# Change social media icons.
# Add exclusion filter to Tech Blog navigation.
# Reduce Disqus width to fit within post width.
# Add post navigation to footers.
# Fix SiteOrigin plugin (Custom CSS site display after HTTPS change)
# Some links differ in hover colour, amend from green to red
# Convert to HTTPS.
# Fix Google MAP API issue, mobile devices get an error.
# Change highlighted text from green to red, or black, or to anything other than green.
# Explore new theme of images on posts.
# Remove self (all devices/networks) from Google Analytics.
# Switch to using Crayons for code display. I’m not feeling GitHub.